Principal Electrical Engineer
For his Master's thesis at MIT, CTO and founder Alex MeVay designed an ultra-efficient on-chip analog comparator that reduced power consumption by a factor of 80. After graduation, inspired by his experiences racing across Australia with the solar car team, he decided to apply his power electronics wizardry to his other passion - solar energy. Thus, Sunforge was born. Alex designed the most efficient small maximum power point tracking (MPPT) solar charge controllers on the market and holds several patents on his ground-breaking innovations.
These days, the market for off-grid solar is exploding and we need a Principal Electrical Engineer to help us meet this demand. This is an excellent opportunity for an ambitious and talented engineer looking to expand their role and advance their career.
You will be responsible for updating and advancing the entire Blue Sky Energy and Genasun product lines, including the core MPPT power conversion technology. This includes bringing products from conception and design through manufacturing and testing.
While we can't offer all the perks of the tech giants, we think being small allows us to offer some other really cool benefits they can't match, such as:
- True Ownership - As the Principal EE, you will be responsible for electrical engineering across all product lines.
- Mentorship - You will be working on the core technology closely with Alex, who has decades of engineering experience with power electronics.
- Flexibility - We have offices in both Somerville, MA (at Greentown Labs) and Vista, CA. Our core engineering office is in Somerville, so we would like you to spend the majority of your time there, but work from Vista, CA is encouraged as an alternative. We are a ROW (Results-Oriented Workplace).
- Engagement with the Customer - You will have an opportunity to engage directly with our customers to better determine their needs and desires.
- Innovation and Creativity - If you can see a way to better serve the market, you will have the freedom to pursue it!
- Equity - For the right candidate we are willing to offer up to 1% equity.
- Environment - Contribute directly to replacing fossil fuels!
We also offer all the standard benefits, like health insurance and 401k.
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- At least a BS in engineering (EE preferred, CS with EE skills is fine too)
- Strong EE fundamentals
- Experience in DC power control and circuit design, including schematic capture and board layout. 5+ years experience or equivalent proficiency
- Experience bringing a product from concept through design, DFM, manufacturing, production test, documentation, marketing, release, to customer support training
- Proficiency in embedded firmware development with fluency in C and preferably also some experience with assembly
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Resourceful and good at self-starting/problem solving with ability to work independently or with a small team (possibly spread over multiple offices).
- Motivation and high-energy with good interpersonal skills. If successful, there will be an opportunity to move from PE to Director if desired.
- Proficiency with MySQL databases and VisualBasic
- Proficiency in mechanical design with SolidWorks or similar CAD tools
- A portfolio of personal projects demonstrating curiosity, problem-solving, and other engineering talents
- A passion for solar energy technology or experience with design of power control circuits
- Curiosity and motivation to develop new skills and take on multiple roles
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary: Commensurate with experience, ~125k - $175k
Equity: up to 1%
Other: health insurance, 401k, generous vacation
Download Job Description